Common Places Mold Is Found On Concrete

Common places mold is found on concrete. The most common place mold is found on concrete is in basements. The most common place that household mold is found is in the basement. According to Kevin Bristol,...

The most common place that household mold is found is in the basement. According to Kevin Bristol, President of Advance Mold Remediation, 60% of the calls they go out on are to clean up mold in a basement. Bristol is certified by the National Association of Mold professionals, The International Association for Mold professionals, and the Environmental Protection Agency.


According to the Environmental Protection Agency, "Molds produce tiny spores that waft through the ... air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. There are molds that can grow on wood, concrete, paper, carpet, and foods. When excessive moisture or water accumulates indoors, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or un-addressed. The way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture." The Minnesota State Health Department website states, "mold only needs a few simple things to grow and multiply [and they] are moisture, nutrients and a suitable place to grow." Many basements can be damp, dark which is a suitable place for mold to grow therefore, homeowners should be extra diligent. If you smell a deep musty smell and your nose itches or eyes water when you are down in your basement you probably have a mold problem. If you see a dark discolored stain on your walls, carpet or ceiling then mold can be the culprit. Basements can get moldy because moisture can seep through the walls and the foundation from the wet dirt outside if they are not properly sealed.




Prevention is the most important advice when it comes to mold. Controlling the moisture in your home is key. Keep the humidity level at below 50%. If there has been water damage, such as a flood, dry the area within 1 to 2 days. If you have leaky pipes fix them to keep the moisture level down. Using an air conditioner can reduce the humidity in your home. If you have a mold problem you might want to eliminate using a swamp-cooler which actually increases humidity. You should increase the ventilation by opening windows and installing exhaust fans. Using a de-humidifier is also effective in a basement to reduce moisture in the air.

To clean up a mold infestation you must dry out the area thoroughly. If your carpet and pad are soaked you must lift them up from the floor and use huge fans to blow the area dry. If you leave wet carpet on the floor your foundation can become moldy and this will create a huge problem. Mold can be cleaned up with a, "biocide, or ammonium chloride. Some people would use bleach as a sort of biocide to clean the mold, but the actual manufacturers of bleach products will tell you it shouldn't be used for mold", says Kevin Bristol. If the area of your home that is covered with mold is large you may want to call a professional to clean it up depending upon how severe the problem is.

If mold is left unchecked you and your family can suffer mild to severe health problems. The problems can include asthma, sneezing, sinus infections, headaches, nausea and learning disabilities. It is best to prevent and get rid of mold as soon as you can.

© High Speed Ventures 2011