Information On Poisonous And Toxic Plants

Five common household plants that may be poisonous and their symptoms.

Household plants can enhance the decor of your house. They are beautiful and provide a nice atmosphere. However, many common household plants can be poisonous. They are especially hazardous to small children who enjoy tearing them apart and eating them. You should move these plants out of reach of your child.

These are a few of the more common plants that are poisonous to children:

Dieffenbachia or Dumb Cane - a tall plant with large, oblong leaves with splotches of white or ivory markings. May cause a burning sensation in lips, mouth, throat, contact dermatitis and may cause speech to be impaired.

Philodendron - a climbing vine most commonly having heart-shaped leaves . May cause a burning sensation in lips, mouth, throat, and contact dermatitis.

Pothos or Devil's Ivy - a Climbing vine with large heart- shaped leaves that are usually streaked with yellow. May cause a burning sensation in lips, mouth, throat, and contact dermatitis.

Oleander - a shrub with long narrow leaves up to 10 inches long. Flowers form in small clusters of red, pink or white. This plant is quite toxic to humans and animals if the leaves or stems are ingested. May cause death.

Azalea or Rhododendron - a shrub with a variety of colored flowers.Burning in mouth, salivation, emesis, diarrhea, skin prickling, headache, muscular weakness, dimness of vision, bradycardia, hypotension, coma, convulsions. May cause death.

If your child does manage to get some of these plants, do not panic. The poisonous effect of these plants vary from a mild rash to more serious reactions. Usually, a large amount of the plant must be eaten to cause a severe reaction. Wash your child's mouth and be sure and contact your local poison control center. You will need to tell them the type of plant your child has eaten and an approximate amount.

© High Speed Ventures 2011