Toxic Black Mold: Symptoms, Testing, Cleaning, Dangers, Killing, And Removal

This article is about the testing, cleaning, and dangers of black toxic mold. Also covered are symptoms of exposure to black toxic mold.

Toxic Black mold can be a serious problem. It is especially dangerous to the elderly and small children. There are many medical problems that can occur with exposure to toxic black mold such as asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory problems, skin rashes and irritations, body aches and pains, memory loss and even ear infections and sinus infections. Some symptoms of exposure are headaches, dizziness, sore throat and itchy watery eyes. Since these are also symptoms of allergies it is sometimes not discovered to be toxic mold right away. To infants this can be very dangerous as toxic black mold exposure can be fatal. One serious condition that has been linked to black toxic mold in infants is pulmonary hemorrhage. This causes serious bleeding in the infant's lungs. Everyone reacts to mold in different ways. In some people just a small amount of mold can cause serious permanent health problems.

The first indication that you may have a mold problem could be a strong musty odor in damp areas of your home. Toxic black mold grows best in dark, damp areas. It is mostly a blackish green mold and very slimy to the touch. Mold also grows any where that is humid or any places where water has leaked and caused damage. Some areas that you can check if you suspect a mold problem are kitchen cabinets and drawers, closets, basements, and under the bathroom sink, especially if there has been a leak. Keep in mind that not all black mold is toxic but any mold that you suspect could be toxic black mold should be tested and eliminated. You can purchase a black mold test kit to test your home yourself or you can hire a professional to come into your home to perform the testing. You should not touch the mold with your bare hands.

Once you determine that you in fact have a mold problem you will need to decide what action to take to remove it. If you have small children or elderly family members in your home, you should remove them from the area.



You will need to determine what is causing the problem in order to come up with a plan of action. If the mold is growing due to high humidity within your home you will need to lower the humidity. The best way to accomplish this is to purchase a de-humidifier and install it in your home. The cost of an average de-humidifier is between two hundred and five hundred dollars. If the cause is a previous water leak which has cause damage you will need to remove and replace the damaged area. The room should be sealed off with a sheet of plastic and duct tape to prevent the mold spores from becoming airborne and affecting other areas of your home. Once you have sealed off the area, mist the moldy areas with a solution of one part bleach to ten parts water in a spray bottle. Keep in mind that bleach can take the color out of some materials. Test areas before applying. There are other disinfectants that you can use if you prefer.

Once you have dampened the mold you can safely remove the damaged wall or whatever it is and replace it with new materials.

If the area that has been affected by the black mold is very large you may want to consider hiring a professional to remove it. Be sure that the company or individual that you hire is experienced, and certified in the removal of black toxic mold.

Once the toxic black mold has been eliminated, keep the home dry, clean and ventilated to prevent future problems.

© High Speed Ventures 2011