Do It Yourself Appliance Repair: How To Fix Common Microwave Oven Problems

Common problems with your household microwave oven and how to fix them and save money by doing it yourself with these tips and instructions.

So you are having problems with your microwave. Well I am no expert but here are some common problems and fixes for them that I have found.

Replacing the handle on your microwave is fairly simple, but you need patience and you need to be careful. Using a small putty knife carefully remove the trim around the door. Some trim is held in place by tabs and these tabs can be broken easily. The trim conceals the screws for the handle for you microwave. Once you uncover the screws it is a simple matter of taking them off and replacing the handle.

Did you catch something on fire in your microwave and now it is not working? Then look for a flame oven thermostat safety switch, most microwaves are equipped with them. When something is overheated or catches on fire it causes this switch to open up and shuts the microwave off.



Has your light bulb gone out on the inside of your oven? You may think changing the bulb is easy and for the most part it is but the main thing you have to remember is to make sure the power is off to your microwave. If the power supply is not off you can cause damage to the circuits in the smart board and cause that to have to be replaced.

Microwave arcing when you go to use it? Food splatters that have carbonized in and around the wave guard can cause your microwave to spark. Make sure the wave guard is clean and if need be replace it.

If your microwave cuts off every once in awhile when in use check and make sure the fan is working and that the grill is clean. You can clean the grill with an old toothbrush. If the fan is not working then take the microwave in to be serviced. The fans for them are normally inexpensive.

If your display is counting down and your inside light is working but it is not heating then you might need to check the door switch. To do this use an Ohm meter. Using a metal screwdriver with an insulated handle, not a shiny chrome one, touch the leads to discharge the current. Then attach the test leads to the bare wire ends and set the dial to the lowest scale. If the needle barely moves then your switch is bad and needs to be replaced. Be aware that a switch can pass the Ohms test and still be bad. If it passes the test and yet is still not working open the door switch and check for signs of overheating.

There are several things that can cause your microwave to sound and look like it is running when in all actuality it is not. The most common of these reasons being loose high voltage wires, solder joint on board and power relay. Your microwave should have come with a diagram book to show you where these parts are so that you can check them.

To check the high voltage capacitor on your microwave with an Ohm meter follow these steps. First make sure the microwave is unplugged and no power to it at all. Then use a screwdriver as described above to lay across the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge any remaining current. If the wires or terminals are coated you can use a pair of insulated needle nose pliers. Now set the needle to Ohm scale , i.e. Rx1, and touch the leads together and zero the meter out with the adjustment wheel. Write down where the wires go and then with the wires off of the capacitor touch the cap of the terminal, red on the left and black on the right. The needle should move slightly to the right and then back to the left. After that reverse the leads, black on the left and red on the right. The needle should move even further to the right and then back to the left. If it does this indicates a good cap.

I know some of this sounds confusing and believe me it boggled my mind when I first started looking for answers also but when you break it down it is fairly easy to where even a mere housewife like me can do it. I hope this information has helped you. Happy microwaving.

© High Speed Ventures 2011